Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Skater of the Month: Astra Knot

Welcome to our monthly feature on the blog where we help you all get to know our players a little better! This month, we're featuring our 2014 team Chair:

Skater Name: Astra Knot

Number: 321 (Blast off, get it?! LOL)

Story Behind the Name: After thinking about a bunch of different things, I decided to combine two of my favorite things in life. I like space and knitting, hence Astra Knot.

Hometown: Duluth, MN

Derby Experience: I've been skating for several years now, and though I spend most of my time as a blocker, I'm having fun jamming at scrimamages, too.

*Just a side note for you all, too, Astra may be our outgoing team Chair, but she was just voted in as one of our 2015 Co-Captains and has also coached Freshmeat in the past. 

Sports background: I used to play on a volleyball team and loved it. I grew up in Minnesota so there's also been some skiing in my life, LOL... but now it's all Derby!

Why Derby: I was dragged to watch a game originally and realised as I was watching what a fun way it is to release aggression. The more I watched, the more I wanted to learn about derby and the more I figured out that I wanted to play! Plus, teammates are awesome and you get to knock girls down. What could be better?

Derby Style: Hmmm...aggressive? Hard blocking...knock 'em down! *grins* Also knowing and playing to the rules. That way I know what I'm talking about when I contest a call or try to strategize a big upcoming jam. 

Derby Goals: To play hard, but fair and to have fun whether we win or lose. 

Outside of Derby: I teach high school, which I love, but can ...let's just say drive me to find release in hitting girls at Derby, LOL. I love to curl up and knit, read mystery novels, and take naps whenever I can!



No comments:

Post a Comment