To kick things off, we're going to start with a simple, easy recipe that can be modified in a lot of different ways to satisfy different tastes and to mix things up so that you can make it frequently and not get bored!
EGG WHITE FRITTATA
|Egg White Frittata Recipe photo by Taste of Home|
1 Tblsp Olive Oil
8 egg whites (or I use the 16oz. carton of egg whites you can buy in grocery stores cuz I'm lazy, LOL)
1 small onion
1 red pepper
3 oz. baby spinach
3 oz. soft goat cheese
Hot sauce or salt and pepper to taste
1. Pour olive oil into large skillet on stove top over medium heat.
2. Chop onion and pepper into small pieces then saute in skillet until softened and onion becomes translucent.
3. Add baby spinach and cook for about 1 minute until spinach is just wilted.
4. Add egg whites to the skillet, making sure to cover the vegetables evenly. Cook on stove top for about 5-8 minutes. The edges of the egg whites should start to look browned and cooked, but the middle will still look slightly watery on top.
5. Remove from stove top. Turn on oven broiler.
6. Break goat cheese into small pieces and place evenly on top of frittata.
7. Place skillet into oven on top rack, just below broiler for about 2-3 minutes. The top of the frittata should finish cooking and turn a lovely pale golden brown color.
8. Remove from oven, let sit for one minute, then cut into four wedges to serve.
You can change up the veggies in this frittata super easily. Just use whatever you have at home,
|An (full) egg fritatta with spinach, onion,|
and goat cheese that I made. YUM.
This frittata is good for before a practice or game because it's got protein, veggies, and some fat from the cheese, which all help fuel you but it's light enough that you don't have that awful heavy feeling while you skate. It's also great for refueling after a workout for all the same reasons.Two wedges of the frittata are about 300 calories, so as long as you share the other half with someone you're still eating a healthy meal that won't immediately cancel out that cardio workout for the day.
Let me know if you try this and what modifications you make...I'm always looking for options in cooking!!
- Nikki Tesla #134