Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Skater of the Month: Haulin-Sass

Welcome to our monthly feature on the blog where we help you all get to know our players a little better! This month, we're featuring our 2015 team Chair:

Skater Name: Haulin-Sass

Number: 318

Story Behind the Name: My name is pretty sentimental. It's in honor of my late boyfriend who was an over the road truck driver. He had planned on opening up his own trucking company named "Westhaulin". I combined the name of his company with my sassy personality and became Haulin-Sass!

Hometown: Born and raised in Springfield MA aka "the 413."

Derby Experience: I joined POD on 9/22/2013 and have loved every second of it!

Sports background: Aside from doing many endurance challenges and just general "keeping in shape" athletics, I didn't really grow up playing any sports.

Why Derby: I never really took an interest in any of the "typical" sports. But one day while at work my coworker was talking about derby and I found it fascinating. Unfortunately, there wasn't a local team for us to try out for, so we talked about creating our own league. Neither of us had ever played before,
though... I then quit that job and a year went by, when a friend of a friend mentioned she played for a local team and invited me to come watch, after that one night I was immediately hooked and kept coming back! Shortly after I started skating I found out my grandmother was a derby girl, no wonder I was so drawn to it; It's in my blood.

Derby Style: I am still working on that. I don't feel that I have enough experience under by belt just yet to have a specific style... But, I do put everything I have into what ever position I am playing.

Why Pair O' Dice: I like to think fate brought us together. At just the right moment in my life a friend of a friend came into my life and invited me to come see the team practice, and I never left.

Derby Goals: I'd like to become a much stronger Jammer.

Favorite players: Well, Of course there is my Derby Wife, Vicious Aloysuis, (-->) but every player that I have met in the short time I've been playing derby has made a huge impact on me and I truly appreciate each and every one of them.

Outside of Derby:  In real life, I work for World Energy in the energy procurement field AKA energy superhero.

Things I have learned about derby: No matter how long you have been skating, there will always be something new to learn - be it rules, or skills. Most importantly, don't get discouraged!

No comments:

Post a Comment